MCEC Remembers Charlotte Figi

MCEC Remembers Charlotte Figi

Her story was inspiring.  Charlotte lived in Colorado Springs, Co and is the namesake of the CBD strain, Charlotte’s Web.  She had her first seizure when she was three months old. By the time she was three, Charlotte was having up to 300 grand mal seizures every week. Diagnosed with Dravet Syndrome, Charlotte began to lose her ability to walk and talk.

Her family was desperate and willing to try anything when her mother, Paige Figi, found a cannabis dispensary in Denver, Co that had a cannabis extract with high CBD and low THC.  The cost was $800 for 2 ounces. She purchased and gave Charlotte a small dose. Charlotte’s seizures stopped for a week and were then reduced to just two or three a month, and allowed Charlotte to stop her other seizure medications.

That’s when the Figi family then began to work with the Stanley brothers, six Colorado-based siblings who grew cannabis and who were working on a high-CBD, low-THC strain. Extracts from those crops were used to treat Charlotte and other seizure patients. The Stanley brothers named the strain Charlotte’s Web to honor the girl who inspired it.

In 2013, the success of medical cannabis as a treatment combined and Charlotte’s story made international news when Dr. Sanjay Gupta of CNN featured her on a documentary called “Weed”. He detailed his revelations on the plant in an editorial on the CNN website.  He ultimately comes to the “realization that it is irresponsible not to provide the best care we can as a medical community, care that could involve marijuana.”

On the morning of April 8, 2020, the virus known as COVID-19 claimed the life of CBD pioneer and Charlotte’s Web namesake, Charlotte Figi, the little girl from Colorado whose bravely used CBD and cannabis to fight her epilepsy which led to the wide acceptance of the cannabis plant as medicine.  The entire medical cannabis industry wept with the news of Charlotte’s passing.  

Reports on social media had said that the family had tested positive for COVID-19.  They were released from the hospital Sunday but rushed back as Charlotte made a turn for the worst.